You’ll have the potential to lead a business analysis practice within an organisation to consistently improve best practice and innovate within the business analysis profession.
- You’ll work with executive stakeholders to determine the contribution that business and IT improvements can make to achieving business objectives; defining strategies, agreeing and prioritising business requirements, conducting feasibility studies, producing both organisational-level and detailed business models, and overseeing the definition and implementation of holistic solutions.
- As a leader, you will take responsibility for the business analysis service provision for an organisation or business unit, where advice given and decisions made will have a measurable impact on the profitability or effectiveness of the organisation. You’ll determine the value proposition for the business analysis function. You’ll define the roles and responsibilities for the business analysis staff, at all levels and grades.
- You will take an active part, together with other senior technical staff and specialised IT management, in IT policy-making and in both software and hardware procurement. You’ll act as an advocate for the business, ensuring the IT provision meets the strategic objectives of the organisation or business unit.
- You will recognise opportunities for the business from organisational and technological change and define change initiatives that will exploit such opportunities. You’ll ensure that business benefits are clearly defined, appropriately quantified and are managed through to realisation.
- As a Lead BA, you will advise and influence executive management throughout the business change lifecycle, ensuring that change initiatives are aligned with the strategy and enterprise architecture.
- Writing and presenting fluently and persuasively on all aspects of business analysis work will be a core skill of yours, while communicating effectively with executives and staff at all levels and grades - and with external audiences in both public and organisational forums to ensure successful outcomes - will be part of your daily responsibilities.
As a lead business analyst, you are the organisational go-to for best practice and knowledge in the profession. You are an expert in all areas of business analysis.
We endorse the industry acknowledged Expert BA Award from the BA Managers' Forum.
Business analysis techniques
You’ll be an expert in applying techniques which help when investigating, analysing, modelling and recording a business area or system of interest, including: business environment analysis and process modelling.
You will be familiar with current and emerging standards associated with IT practice nationally and internationally, published by authorities such as IEEE, IEC, BSI, ISO. For example: IEEE 802 (local area networks and metropolitan area networks) and ISO20000 (service management).
Proof of concept and prototyping
You’ll be an expert in performing a proof of concept or prototyping exercise to demonstrate or evaluate the feasibility and potential benefits of applying a particular technological business change in order to meet a business need.
You’ll be an expert in methods and techniques for preparing and presenting business cases, requests for proposal (RFP) invitations to tender (ITT) and statements of requirements/work both verbally and in writing.
Expert BA Award
BCS endorses the Expert BA Award in partnership with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and the BA Manager Forum (BAMF). This award validates a candidate’s ability to conduct complex business analysis activities, engage with senior stakeholders and improve the organisation at a strategic level.
Find out more and book
Chartered IT Professional Status
Demonstrate your expertise in the field of business analysis with the BCS Chartered IT Professional award, the independent standard of competence and professionalism in the technology industry.
BCS Fellowship (FBCS)
As an expert in your field, you will be eligible to take your place among the most experienced professionals and academics in the industry, to inspire others and shape the business analysis profession.
Become a Fellow
Pathway to professionalism
Attain a leading business analysis certification and demonstrate that you’ve met the high standards set by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT. Over 100,000 professionals worldwide are certified with BCS.