Tax relief

BCS is one of the HMRC approved professional bodies, therefore, if you are a UK tax payer and pay your own membership or journal subscription fees, you may be entitled to claim tax back on your membership or journal subscription fee.

Who can claim

If joining BCS is necessary to carry out your work or is relevant to your job, members employed in the UK may claim tax relief on their subscription fee.

Who cannot claim

  • Non UK tax payers
  • Life Members
  • Members whose subscription fee is paid by someone else (e.g. employer)

How much can I claim?

Higher rate taxpayers can claim 40% of their membership fee.
Lower rate taxpayers can claim 20% of their membership fee.

View the current membership fees

How to claim

In order to claim tax relief, you will need to request a receipt for your membership or journal subscription payment, which you can then submit to the tax office with your tax return form. Please quote British Computer Society along with our tax reference number C1/SUB/636/3rd March 1959.

If you don't complete a tax return, you can make a claim by writing or phoning your local tax office (your employer will be able to give you the address and reference). For full details visit

Where can I get a receipt?

Log in to MyBCS and click ’Print receipt in the ‘Manage your membership’ section - alternatively please contact our Customer Service department.

For more information about tax relief for professional fees and subscriptions, visit