We take all reasonable steps to ensure that our staff protect your personal data and are aware of their information security obligations. We limit access to your personal data to those who have a business need to know it.
We may also share your personal data with trusted third parties including:
- Service providers contracted to us in connection with the provision of the products and services; this includes the service provider which runs election and voting at our annual general meeting;
- Relevant Regulators such as Ofqual, Department for Education (DfE), Ofsted, Qualification Wales, ESFA, NSAR and BSI;
- Other Awarding Bodies such as ISTQB and EXIN;
- Disciplinary Investigation Panels and Appeals Panels; *
- STEM Learning Limited and Raspberry Pi Foundation for CAS users;
- BCS CEO;
- Our insurers;
- External and internal lawyers and/or specialist advisors
- BCS may also be bound to share data with the police or other law enforcement agencies in the event of a crime.
*Further information can be found in the Disciplinary Regulations which is available upon request.
We will ensure there is a contract in place with the categories of recipients listed above which include obligations in relation to the confidentiality, security and lawful processing of any personal data shared with them. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
Protecting information outside of the UK
Some of the organisations we share information with may be located outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). We will always take steps to ensure that any transfer of information outside of the EEA is carefully managed to protect your privacy rights. We will ensure that the transfer of personal data will be protected by appropriate safeguards, including the use of standard data protection clauses where the data protection authority does not believe that the third country has adequate data protection laws. Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US.
Occasionally and only where necessary to fulfil our legal obligations, conduct investigations and / or deliver our services, we may share your information with law enforcement organisations such as the police or courts.
BCS will share examination results and marks with the Training Provider as there is a ‘reasonable expectation’ for this information to be provided. BCS policy is not to share results with any employer, relative or friend unless express consent is obtained to do so. Where BCS works with other Examination Providers (such as ISTQB or EXIN) we will share the examination marks with them.
We may record telephone calls you make to our customer contact centre to train staff or check for mistakes. We do this in the interests of offering a good service to our customers and to protect public funds. Your information may be shared with other organisations if they have a legal right to it. We will delete call recording one month after the call was made.