Among its main objectives are to:
- Provide a focus for the independent, informal discussion and exchange of ideas on service management
- Act as a centre of knowledge and information within the BCS
- Promote the application and understanding of service management best practice
- Promote service management in co-operation with other specialist groups and the BCS membership
- Encourage professional development for members in service management areas
- Promote the role of service management so that other groups embrace it as part of their thinking, business, projects, technical teams, developers, supply chain and others.