|Job title:||Product manager|
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, is committed to making IT good for society. We use the power of our network to bring about positive, tangible change. We champion the global IT profession and the interests of individuals, engaged in that profession, for the benefit of all.
We are looking for a Product Manager to join our Product team, for a permanent opportunity working full-time from our Swindon offices, close to the town centre and key transport links.
About the role:
At BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, we're ensuring the digital world is safe and positive for everyone, by raising standards of competence and conduct across the IT industry and tackling the ethical challenges we face along the way.
We’re helping to improve education and support peoples’ careers to equip everyone with the professional knowledge, skills and resilience required to drive and thrive in a digital world. Our product team are central to helping BCS deliver on our purpose.
We are seeking an able product manager to work in our professional certifications area to help us manage an extensive certification/exam portfolio which includes: Cyber, IT Service Management, GDPR, Agile and Blockchain.
If you have a strong product management background (not necessarily in skills certifications) and an enthusiasm for IT skills, we would be excited to hear from you.
- Be part of a fast-paced team and thrive in that sort of environment
- Have experience of working in learning and development or building career pathways (would be advantageous)
- Be able to use your extensive product management skills to continuously improve our product offering
- Play an active part in a highly collaborative team
- Have great internal and external stakeholder management skills
- Be at ease making product management decisions and leading wider teams in go-to-market plans
- Proactively seek, create and present business case ideas for new products
- Ensure alignment to the wider product vision and roadmap.
We welcome applications from all candidates with relevant experience and aptitude (please see full job description below). We are a flexible organisation and realise the benefits that can afford to ensure we gain top talent. If you have a working pattern requirement or are unable to commute to our Swindon offices daily, then please feel free to have that discussion with us if selected for interview.
- Create the Product Plan for the Professional Certification portfolio in conjunction with the Senior Product Manager;
- Own the Product Plan for your specific portfolio area to ensure agreed growth, reach, revenue and profit goals are met;
- Continually review the commercial viability of the existing product set to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace. Monitor and report monthly on performance of products, managing reporting and analyses of income and expenditure for your practice area and identifying risks and mitigation strategies as necessary;
- Research and understand customer needs in the certification marketplace in order to develop new products and services that will enable the portfolio to grow and BCS’s position in the market to become more established;
- Management of all costs associated with practice area and setting the relevant prices for the practice to ensure desired income and margin objectives are met;
- Create business cases for development activity for new or existing products. Assess them for commercial viability and decide which developments to recommend to your manager for forward action. Progress into project planning, working collaboratively with Product Development, Systems, Marketing and Sales to deliver successful roll outs;
- Manage suppliers and contracts, negotiating and maintaining contracts to achieve suitable margins and profitability, liaising with your manager and the Sourcing Manager as appropriate;
- Be the focal point of knowledge for the market, competitor & customer base in your specific product area. Own action plans to drive the growth of existing products, respond to competitor activity and develop new business proposals, working with your manager to amend product strategy as necessary. Personally represent BCS in the external marketplace on a regular basis;
- Manage the product marketing elements of customer focus, pricing, packaging, prioritisation and sales enablement (promotion, tools, etc.) working in conjunction with other relevant departments;
- Collaborate on whether or not BCS should progress with product bids and tenders based on consultation with other departments and your manager as required;
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements;
- There is an expectation that all staff will live BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures.
Who we are looking for
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Significant experience and a track record of success in Product Management, marketing or Sales & Services
- Proven experience negotiating commercial and contractual terms successfully
- Proven experience of developing and assessing the viability of business cases, budgets and plans
- Project management experience as a product owner (Agile or Prince2 environments)
- Relates easily and effectively to colleagues, customers, suppliers and partners
- Able to assess the viability of a group of products and implement change to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace
- Well organised and results oriented. Follows through appropriately
- Numerate. Able to analyse complex data to establish trends and forecasts
- Confident presenter and communicator
- Ability to identify areas for improvement within your department
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise workloads in order to meet deadlines
- General knowledge across a broad range of IT related areas
- Knowledge of learning and development or the building of career pathways
- Offsite visits to clients, partners and suppliers may be required
- Worldwide travel may be required
- Some out-of-hours working including weekends will be required