|Job title:||Senior product manager - Standards|
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, is committed to making IT good for society. We use the power of our network to bring about positive, tangible change. We champion the global IT profession and the interests of individuals, engaged in that profession, for the benefit of all.
We are looking for a Senior product manager (Standards) to join our Learning and Development team, for a permanent opportunity working full-time from our Swindon offices, close to the town centre and key transport links.
About the role:
Management of and responsibility for the Standards/Professional Registration services ensuring all products and services are defined, developed and rolled out successfully to deliver growth, reach and revenue.
Ownership of our strategic partner relationships that relate to Standards and Professional Registration.
Management of the Standards and Professional Registration Team, their objectives and activities to ensure BCS has a cohesive, relevant and profitable strategy defined to support the delivery of BCS Group strategic goals, including those around growth, reach and revenue.
- Create and own the 3-year Plan for the Standards/Professional Registration portfolio in conjunction with any direct reports to ensure that the agreed growth, reach and revenue goals are met. Ensure the product plan covers existing and new routes to market;
- Continually review the viability of the existing product set to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace. Monitor and report monthly on performance of all products, managing reporting and analyses of targets and expenditure for all practice areas and identifying risks and mitigation strategies as necessary.
- Lead and co-ordinate research projects to help to understand the needs within the marketplace to develop new products and services that will enable growth and to refresh BCS’s position within the market to become more established. This research will involve working with suppliers, employers, training providers and candidates.
- Create and evaluate business cases for development activity for new or existing products. Assess them for viability and decide which developments to recommend for forward action. Progress into project planning, working collaboratively with BCS departments to ensure successful development and launch to market;
- To develop strategic partnerships which will include co-ordinating the relevant product partnership governance and BCS resources to deliver key partnership activities including the following and to be the central point of contact for these activities:
- Strategy discussions and overall partner plan
- Contract negotiations in conjunction with relevant Director, Product manager and Sourcing Manager.
- Product implementations
- Operational activities
- Marketing plan activities
- Set appropriate KPIs with the partner and be accountable for all performance activity reporting based on these KPIs, both internally and externally to the product partner;
- Be the product lead for key supplier and channel partners to ensure effective delivery of the Standards/Professional Registration portfolio and services.
- Own the product development process for Standards/Professional Registrations, ensuring development is completed within agreed timescales, budgets and processes for development and assessment. Ensure continual improvement of the product development process, working closely with other Senior Product Managers to ensure a consistent approach within BCS. Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and third-party requirements in the product development process.
- Prioritise products released to market balancing demand and capability while working collaboratively with Systems, Marketing and Sales to deliver successful roll outs. To take a leading role in checking technical content and relevance for all product produced;
- Be the focal point of knowledge for Standards/Professional Registration, competitor & customer base. Own action plans to drive the growth of existing products, respond to competitor activity and develop new business proposals, amending product strategy as necessary;
- Manage the product marketing elements of customer focus, pricing, packaging, prioritisation and sales enablement (promotion, tools etc) working in conjunction with other relevant departments. Produce Marketing briefs and product content for Marketing. Be responsible for assisting Marketing in maintaining the Standards and Professional Registration product area on the BCS website;
- Support, coach, mentor and manage your team to ensure fair, consistent approach of workloads and development to produce a highly effective team;
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- All staff will live BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who we are looking for
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Demonstrable experience and a track record of success in Product Management, marketing or Sales & Services.
- Significant experience negotiating commercial and contractual terms successfully.
- Significant experience of developing and assessing the viability of business cases, budgets and plans.
- Significant experience of product development and delivery management within the IT market.
- Significant experience of working with IT professionals at a team and individual level.
- Significant experience of managing and tracking budgets.
- Significant experience of managing effective and highly performing teams.
- Significant experience of motivating, leading teams under a organisation/departmental strategy.
- Critical & creative thinking, problem solving.
- Able to assess the viability of a group of products and implement change to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace.
- Ability to build effective and strong interpersonal relationships – relates easily and effectively to colleagues, customers, suppliers and partners.
- Excellent communication, influencing and negotiating skills at all levels and a confident presenter.
- Ability to present to a wide range of audiences, providers employers, government departments etc.
- Data Analysis – the ability to monitor and collect research data to assess accuracy, validity, and viability of a group of products. To interpret and evaluate results, create reports and presentations with the purpose of implementing agreed changes to maximise growth opportunities within the marketplace.
- Financial accountability and management: ability to manage budgets against an agreed cost model.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritise workloads of self and others in order to meet deadlines.
- Highly organised and results oriented. Follows through appropriately.
- Ability to identify areas for improvement within your department.
- General knowledge across a broad range of IT related areas.
- Knowledge of Standards and Professional Registration, marketplace – competitors, channels etc.
- Offsite visits to clients, partners and suppliers, other BCS offices will be required.
- Worldwide travel may be required.
- Some out-of-hours working including weekends will be required.