His contributions in terms of leadership, intellectual thought, time and positive contribution have touched all parts of the Society over a long period of service. He was elected to MBCS in 1985, to FBCS in 1987, and CITP in 2004.
His service to the BCS is shown in the following brief summary:
- 1985 - present Committee member South Yorkshire Branch
- 1988 - 1989 Chair South Yorkshire Branch
- 1990 - Elected to Council elected directly by the corporate membership
- 1992 - 1997 Vice President and Chair Professional and Public Affairs Board
- 1998 - 2004 Hon Treasurer and Chair of FOC (two terms)
- 2002 - 2004 Chair ECDL Board
- 2003 - 2004 Vice President Products and Services Board
- 2005 - present Member Products and Services Board
- 2002 - present Member of Charitable Trust Management Committee
Significant items worthy of note are:
- His thoughtful Chairmanship of FOC over a long and major period of transition, maintaining an steady financial course, whilst encouraging prudent growth.
- His guidance of the ECDL Board over a similar period of development
- His Chairmanship of Products and Services Board at a time when the Society was vigorously growing the product portfolio as part of the transition from "old" to "new" BCS
He has also made himself unstintingly available for other Committee work over the period, for example:
- Served as Chair of WG on membership process
- Served on Membership Committee
- Served on WG and panel to recruit Chief Executive
- Served on Disciplinary Panel.
Given Mike’s contribution to the Society in many senior positions during a period of considerable change in its history, we would urge you to give this submission serious consideration.