History of BCS

A timeline of the history of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT.

  • 1957
    The London Computer Group merges with an association of scientists to become the British Computer Society Ltd.
  • 1966
    BCS is granted charitable status.
  • 1970
    BCS receives its Armorial Bearings, including shield and crest.
  • 1976
    HRH the Duke of Kent becomes patron of BCS.
  • 1982-3
    HRH the Duke of Kent is president of BCS. 25 year anniversary of BCS: membership has grown from 1,300 to 27,000 and the number of branches has increased from 13 to 42.
  • 1984-5
    BCS is incorporated by Royal Charter as a Chartered Body. BCS becomes a nominated body of the Engineering Council.
  • 1989
    BCS becomes a Chartered Engineering Institution.
  • 1996
    The Engineering Council licences BCS to award Chartered Engineer status (CEng).
  • 2003
    An EGM is held to discuss changes to the BCS Charter and Bye-Laws, 97% of eligible members vote in favour of change. Changes are approved by the Privy Council.
  • 2004
    The Science Council licences BCS to award Chartered Scientist status (CSci). The Charter and Bye-Law changes are enacted. Creation of Chartered IT Professional status (CITP).
  • 2007
    BCS marks its 50 anniversary: the Society has grown to more than 50,000 members, 40 UK branches and 15 international sections.
  • 2009
    BCS undergoes a transformation to become BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, adapting to the changing world stage of IT and improving what it can offer its members.
  • 2011
    CEO David Clarke is awarded an MBE for services to the IT industry.