BCS Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course in Computer Programming
Developed by subject matter experts in the fields of computer science and teaching
Delivered entirely online, meaning you can study at home in your own time and at your own pace
Fully funded by the Department for Education so there are no fees to pay and you may even be eligible to apply for a training bursary to support you while you learn
Dedicated, experienced tutors to support you throughout the SKE course, available to provide feedback, answer questions and give advice
Who is it for?
The BCS SKE is designed for aspiring secondary school computing teachers, to extend and deepen your subject knowledge in computer programming up to GCSE standard.
What are the entry requirements?
Your training provider will have made you a conditional offer based on you successfully completing a SKE course before taking up your place on initial teacher training and you have accepted that place.
What will I learn?
- Develop your confidence using Python to program applications
- Learn the key programming constructs to create algorithms including sequence, selection and iteration
- Explore the use of a range of data structures including lists
- Undertake small assessments and assignments so that you can increase your confidence developing algorithms
- Explore how to combine pedagogical approaches with access to selected Computing At School teacher resources
How long will it take?
The course is delivered across eight weeks. Each week introduces a new programming construct.
When can I start?
The SKE start date will be Monday 6 February and will run for 8 weeks. Apply for a place on our SKE course by clicking the 'Apply Now' button below. Alternatively, if you’d like to register for future dates please register your interest.
Register your interest
If you have any questions about enrolling on the SKE course in the next academic year, email email@example.com.
Submit your application for our eight-week Programming SKE course.