Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
IEng registration from the Engineering Council reflects your professionalism and the contribution you make to engineering technology solutions.
Evidence your skills and experience to employers, clients and the wider industry
Show you're committed to professional standards and to developing your capability
Raise your profile with internationally-recognised letters IEng after your name
Enjoy new career opportunities and greater influence in your business
Is it for me?
You're ready for IEng if you:
- use new and existing technologies in an industrial setting
- demonstrate practical skills and knowledge in a range of activities, sometimes complex and non routine
- apply your knowledge to deliver projects using established technologies and methods
- are responsible for project and financial planning, with some responsibility for developing others
- always demonstrate quality and integrity in your work
What are the requirements?
- You're assessed against the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)
- To apply for registration with BCS you need to be an MBCS or FBCS member
How to apply
You’ll need to evidence your knowledge and experience in a written application, and an online discussion with our chartered assessors. Members can access the IEng application process in MyBCS.
You need to complete a series of statements demonstrating how you meet the criteria for IEng registration. You also have to provide your CV and information about your experience and/or qualifications and CPD activity.
Your supporter could be an employer, client or colleague. They’ll need to be working at your level or above and able to offer a reliable opinion of your knowledge and experience. We'll ask them to review your application before confirming their support.
You can take this route to registration if you hold either:
- an accredited bachelor’s or honours degree in engineering or technology;
- an HND or foundation degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level;
- an NVQ4 or SVQ4 which has been approved for the purpose by a licensed professional engineering institution, plus appropriate further learning to degree level.
Find out if your qualification is accredited for IEng at www.engc.org.uk/courses
If you don't hold an accredited qualification, our assessors will review your application and CV to ensure you have the knowledge and experience required to meet the registration criteria. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible in your application, including any relevant academic or vocational qualifications that you hold.
If you're unable to provide enough clear evidence to support an experiential route to IEng, we will contact you to discuss other options available to you.
Once we’ve assessed your application and your supporter has responded, you’ll be invited to meet our assessors online for a professional review interview (PRI). Our assessors will ask questions to verify your knowledge and competence. The interview usually lasts an hour.
Use your IEng post-nominal letters to confirm your new status to employers, colleagues and customers.
Continuing professional development
As an Incorporated Engineer you’re required to maintain your competence and keep a record of your CPD activities. We may ask you at any time to provide your CPD record which needs to show what you learnt or achieved.
You can refer to the Engineering Council CPD Code for Registrants for guidance.
Your knowledge, experience and opinion are valuable commodities which you can invest in BCS to support your CPD as well as the development of our industry.
- Mentoring network - inspiring another person, and seeing them progress and benefit from your insight, is a hugely rewarding experience.
- Volunteering - grow your professional network and the profile of your field, by taking an active role in the running of our membership community.
What does it cost?
One-off application fee £160
If our initial assessment of your application is unsuccessful, you’ll be refunded in full.
IEng registration fee £48.14
This includes your first year’s subscription.
Annual IEng registration subscription £37.21
I want to apply for IEng
I'm a BCS member
If you’re MBCS or FBCS, you can log in to MyBCS to start your application.
I'm not a BCS member
To register for IEng with BCS, you’ll need to be an MBCS or FBCS member.
"One of the many benefits of my professional registration has been the recognition I've received from my colleagues and management... My IEng status has enabled me to become a mentor and in this role I encourage others to seek professional registration."