BCS Foundation Award - Understanding the role of ethics in the responsible use of AI
Discover how an ethical culture leads to the sustainable and responsible use of AI, by considering the potential harm that can come from AI, the safeguards that can be implemented, and where the responsibility lies within our organisations and society.
Who is this for?
- All IT professionals who are required to operate ethically in society and in business - from service desk operative to CIO!
- Business and digital leaders considering AI as a solution for their organisation
- Digital practitioners looking to upskill and develop their professional credentials
- Employees who want to understand more about the ethical impact of their work and decisions
- Consumers who would like to be more informed in an increasingly technology-driven society
There are no pre-requisites for entry to the exam.
What will I learn?
This award sits within the Ethics area of the AI Foundation Pathway and demonstrates how the societal impact of AI will be controlled by human interaction.
- the impact of, and level of responsibility for, AI in business
- scaling up the impact and responsibility of AI to society
- potential harm and safeguards
- the role of humans in an AI world
Download our latest syllabus (PDF)
This award contributes 5 credits towards the:
- Foundation Certificate in AI (total credits required: 20)
- Foundation Diploma in AI (total credits required: 36)
Other Ethics awards in the IA Foundation Pathway include:
How can I prepare for this award?
You can achieve this qualification through virtual or classroom training with a BCS-accredited training provider. As a guide, the estimated total qualification time for this award is 50 hours based around 16 hours of contact time, 33 hours of independent learning and a 30-minute summative assessment. Prices of exams start from £90 + VAT per award - though prices may vary depending on training provider.
How do I take the exam?
Find a provider
Get in touch with your nearest BCS-accredited training provider to ask about their bitesize training course.
Book your exam
If you're studying for this qualification without a training provider you can sit this exam directly with BCS.
How do I book an exam?
Call +44 (0)1793 417417 to book your exam
Build on your foundation learning and achieve the Foundation Certificate in AI by studying one award from each of the four key awards areas. Study eight awards across the four areas and you’ll achieve the Foundation Diploma in AI. Why not look at…
Learn how data enables AI to perform, how it’s cleaned, structured and stored - and specifically focusing on machine learning how to use data in the right way, work with security protocols and uphold good ethical practice.
Business innovation Awards
Explore different types of organisations and their uses of AI, the challenges and opportunities they might face, and whether AI can offer the right solutions.
This qualification is not regulated by the following United Kingdom Regulators - Ofqual, Qualifications Wales, CCEA Regulation or SQA.