|Job title:||Legal counsel|
|Location:||Swindon and Remote|
BCS is now recruiting for a Legal Counsel to join our Legal team. The ideal candidate will have 4 years post qualification experience and ideally be able to work from our Swindon office once or twice a week. They’ll have experience in commercial law and possibly in house experience, or a desire to go in house.
About the role
The post-holder will be responsible for supporting the Head of Legal Services with provision of legal services to BCS. It will generally include providing advice on commercial, IT and IP law and involve contract drafting.
- To assist the Head of Legal with day-to-day legal matters across the organisation;
- To provide pragmatic advice on commercial IT/IP and Data Protection law and dealing with ad hoc customer/suppliers related legal enquiries;
- To draft a range of legal agreements on behalf of the business as required;
- To work closely with the Paralegal in completion of legal tasks when required to facilitate the prompt issue of contracts via DocuSign;
- To continually look at ways to make improvements to such systems, processes and procedures;
- To support and implement certain legal aspects of the GDPR compliance project.
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- All staff will live the BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who are we looking for?
- Qualified solicitor
- Degree educated. 2.1
- Proven experience gained in private practice or inhouse;
- Proven experience in commercial law required;
- In house experience desirable but not critical;
- Experience in IT/IP law desirable;
- Experience in Data Protection law/GDPR desirable.
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to identify and appropriately handle any legal issues;
- Ability to communicate and negotiate in writing and verbally;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to prioritise workloads in order to meet deadlines;
- Proactive approach;
- Ability to hit the ground running, flexibility, adaptability.
- Knowledge of the IT/charity/training and development sector desired.
BCS is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be removed before any listed closing date once a sufficient amount of applications have been received.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.