|Job title:||Legal counsel|
|Salary:||£40,000 - £45,000 p.a.|
We are recruiting for a Legal Counsel to join our in-house Legal team, in a permanent fulltime position, working circa 2days/week from our Swindon offices (2minutes walk from the train station) and from home the rest of the week.
About the role
The post-holder will be responsible for supporting the Head of Legal Services with the provision of legal services to BCS including providing advice on commercial, IT and IP, and data protection law, contract drafting and negotiation.
- Assist the Head of Legal Services with day-to-day legal matters;
- Provide pragmatic and commercially appropriate advice on commercial, IT/IP and data protection law;
- Respond to legal enquiries from BCS colleagues, customers and suppliers;
- Advise on, draft, negotiate and finalise a wide range of legal agreements on behalf of BCS as required;
- Work closely, when required, with the Paralegal/Administrator to respond to enquiries sent to the team inbox and support the timely issue of contracts on the team’s e-signature software system;
- Ensure that BCS is legally compliant and that legal risks are identified and mitigated;
- Where appropriate, to liaise with and to manage effectively external advisors;
- Advise on and assist with the drafting of internal company policies and procedures and their implementation and continually to look at ways to make improvements to such systems, processes and procedures;
- Continually identify and consider ways in which to make improvements to the legal team’s systems, processes and procedures;
- Flexibility is required to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- All staff will live BCS values and support our purpose;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who are we looking for?
- Qualified Solicitor or Chartered Legal Executive;
- Degree educated. 2.1
- Proven experience gained in private practice or in-house (in-house experience is desirable but not essential);
- Significant experience in commercial law is required;
- Experience in IT/IP law desirable;
- Experience in data protection law is desirable.
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to identify and appropriately handle any legal and commercial issues and any associated risks;
- Ability to communicate and negotiate in writing and verbally;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to prioritise workloads to meet deadlines;
- Take a proactive, flexible and commercially appropriate approach;
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders, both internally and externally;
- Ability to provide sound advice and guidance that is tailored according to audience.
- Commercial law;
- Data protection law;
- IT/IP law;
- Knowledge of the IT/charity/training and development sector is desirable but not essential.
BCS is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be removed before any listed closing date once a sufficient amount of applications have been received.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.
What BCS offers in return
£40,000 - £45,000 per annum
Benefits and perks
From Day One (pre-probation)
- 23 days holiday per year increasing to a maximum of 27 days with length of service.
- A day off on or during the month of your birthday.
- Up to 3 extra paid days off during shutdown between Christmas and New Year.
- Free BCS membership giving you invaluable membership resources.
- The Social Club – events and subsidised trips open to all employees.
- Refer a Friend – If you ‘refer a friend’ for a role at BCS and they are successful, you would receive £750 after 6 months and further £750 after 12 months (conditions apply)
- Life Insurance paid at four times base salary from day one.
- Group Income Protection Insurance – an insurance which will pay a percentage of your salary for up to 3 years in the event of a long-term illness preventing you from working. This benefit is subject to a claim assessment and only payable if certain conditions are met.
- BCS Stars – the internal recognition scheme based on the company values. Employees can be nominated across the business to earn points to spend on an online shopping platform.
- EAP – Employee Assistance Programme (Counselling, financial and legal advice).
- Holiday buying scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Health cash plan