|Job title:||Product manager|
|Salary:||Up to £45,000 p.a.|
We are looking for a Product Manager to join our Product Management and Development department, in a permanent capacity, working full-time.
About the role
Under the direction of the Senior Product Manager and the Sector lead for given specialism, the Product Manager will be responsible for the creative and collaborative process of building market-leading products to our customer base in a timely manner.
Working in a dynamic, customer centric environment, the Product Manager is expected to take ownership and responsibility for achieving growth, reach, revenue and profit targets for their product and service portfolio. A ‘can do’ attitude whilst always thinking ‘how could this be better?’ and great communication skills are a must along with an understanding of the product lifecycle to drive continuous improvement.
- In conjunction with the Senior Product Manager create and own the 3-year Product Plan for given portfolio in conjunction with any direct reports to ensure agreed growth, reach, revenue and profit goals are met. Ensure the product plan covers the existing portfolio and new products aligned and relevant across markets;
- Continually review the commercial viability of the existing product set to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace. Monitor and report monthly on performance of products, managing reporting and analyses of income and expenditure for your practice area and identifying risks and mitigation strategies as necessary;
- Research and understand customer needs in order to develop new products and services that will enable the portfolio to grow and to refresh BCS’s position to become more established;
- Management of all costs associated with practice area and setting the relevant prices for the practice to ensure desired income and margin objectives are met;
- Create business cases for development activity for new or existing products. Assess them for commercial viability and decide which developments to recommend for forward action. Progress into project planning, working collaboratively with cross BCS departments to ensure successful product development and launch to market;
- Manage suppliers and contracts, negotiating and maintaining contracts to achieve suitable margins and profitability, liaising with your manager and the Legal Services department as appropriate;
- Design and develop product that is relevant to our customers the learner and stakeholders whilst complying with governments, regulators, clients and the BCS quality policies and procedures;
- Support, coach, mentor and manage a small team team to ensure fair, consistent approach of workloads and development to produce a highly effective team;
- Be the point of knowledge for the market, competitor & customer base in your specific product area. Own action plans to drive the growth of existing products, respond to competitor activity and develop new business proposals, working with your manager to amend product strategy as necessary. Personally represent BCS in the external marketplace on a regular basis;
- Manage the product marketing elements of customer focus, pricing, packaging, prioritisation and sales enablement (promotion, tools, etc.) working in conjunction with other relevant departments. Product marketing briefs and product content for marketing. Be responsible for assisting marketing in maintaining the product area on the website;
- Collaborate on whether or not BCS should progress with product bids and tenders based on consultation with other departments and your manager as required;
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements;
- All employees will live BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who are we looking for?
- Educated to degree level or equivalent is desirable
- Educational Psychology
- Computer Science
- Significant experience and a track record of success in Product Management, Marketing or Sales & Services;
- Proven experience negotiating commercial and contractual terms successfully;
- Proven experience of developing and assessing the viability of business cases, budgets and plans;
- Project management experience as a product owner (Agile or Prince2 environments);
- Proven experience of managing and coaching small teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills and capable of building relationships to gain buy in and achieve results;
- Able to assess the viability of a group of products and implement change to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace;
- Well organised and results oriented. Follows through appropriately;
- Confident presenter and communicator;
- Ability to identify areas for improvement within your portfolio;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to set and manage priorities in order to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work within defined timescales and keep calm under pressure;
- Ability to track and monitor performance against budget;
- Demonstrable understanding of design, development and operational concepts and principles;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and changing priorities;
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialised information;
- Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others;
- Ability to look beyond the standard solution;
- Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem;
- Ability to think in terms of abstract ideas;
- Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result;
- Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea;
- Ability to make a critical decision while following company procedure;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- General knowledge across a broad range of IT related areas;
- Knowledge of learning and development or the building of career pathways;
- UK Qualification regulatory requirements;
- Application of learning principles;
- Development of workflows and procedures;
- Awarding Body landscape;
- Up to date computer knowledge and digital skills;
- Understanding of technical language.
- Offsite visits to clients, partners and suppliers may be required;
- Worldwide travel may be required;
- Some out-of-hours working including weekends will be required.
BCS is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.