|Job title:||Senior content editor|
We are looking for a Senior Content Editor to join our Content & Insight department in a permanent capacity, working full-time.
About the role
Content isn’t just about writing articles for print. Content can be words, pictures, video and audio. The Senior Content Editor is responsible for finding and producing the right stories and telling them using the right medium. Plus, when the story has been told, measuring the content’s performance against KPIs. The role requires a high degree of creativity matched with fine data and analytical skills.
- Support the Chief Editor to implement the content strategy and support wider businesses imperatives and departments;
- Lead on BCS editorial content generation across ITNOW (print), the Content Hub (web) and other platforms (digital / social):
- Take ownership of the editorial pipeline from research / ideas, right through writing, editing, publishing and tracking / performance measurement;
- Manage contributions towards hitting deadlines and support with quality;
- Integrate SEO (research, writing and keywording) into the content pipeline
- Identify topics, relevant stories and trends which the Content Team should be addressing. Keep abreast of industry trends and BCS’ changing business focuses;
- Have a clear understanding of BCS’ core audiences and produce content that aligns with their needs (drawn from business intelligence / data / Google Analytics) + champion ‘audience first thinking’;
- Where necessary support other BCS departments with content projects. This might be consultancy, data insights, SEO, analytics or commissioning/writing;
- Maintain a clear understanding of BCS’ existing, published pieces of content. Ensure any newly published piece of content links to, supports and drives traffic to the right pages and parts of the website;
- Create content based on BCS guidelines and tone of voice, ensuring continuity across business channels;
- Lead ITNOW’s LinkedIn presence: post strategically, measure results and use data to shape further activities. Use LinkedIn to meet KPIs (listed below);
- Support, participate in and be aware of BCS’ other social media activities;
- Where necessary produce video and audio content. This might mean hosting video interviews, hosting podcasts and facilitating events;
- Stakeholder management: Grow and maintain relationships with BCS members;
- Establish manage and maintain day to day relationships with BCS members, writers, third party suppliers and collaborators;
- Contribute to ensuring all content complies with libel laws, copyright and accessibility rules;
- Develop the accessibility approach the content team use, implement in ITNOW and other media and keep abreast of best practice and pragmatic implementation;
- Continually look at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures;
- All staff will live the BCS values and support our purpose;
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who are we looking for?
- Degree level education or equivalent.
- Proven journalistic experience;
- Proven sub-editing skills;
- Proven experience of managing external writers and contributors.
- Solid level of skill with core Adobe CC packages: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign (training can be provided);
- Excellent Microsoft office skills;
- Sub-editing skills;
- Very high attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to build and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines;
- Ability to manage own schedule, workload and to achieve agreed objectives with the minimum of supervision;
- Project management.
- Sound knowledge of publishing and media software;
- Adobe CC – Premier, InDesign and Photoshop – more as required;
- Social media channels;
- Knowledge of the IT industry.
- Some UK travel will be required as well as some evening work.
BCS is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be removed before any listed closing date once a sufficient amount of applications have been received.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.
What BCS offers in return
Benefits and perks
From Day One (pre-probation)
- 23 days holiday per year increasing to a maximum of 27 days with length of service.
- A day off on or during the month of your birthday.
- Up to 3 extra paid days off during shutdown between Christmas and New Year.
- Free BCS membership giving you invaluable membership resources.
- The Social Club – events and subsidised trips open to all employees.
- Refer a Friend – If you ‘refer a friend’ for a role at BCS and they are successful, you would receive £750 after 6 months and further £750 after 12 months (conditions apply)
- Life Insurance paid at four times base salary from day one.
- Group Income Protection Insurance – an insurance which will pay a percentage of your salary for up to 3 years in the event of a long-term illness preventing you from working. This benefit is subject to a claim assessment and only payable if certain conditions are met.
- BCS Stars – the internal recognition scheme based on the company values. Employees can be nominated across the business to earn points to spend on an online shopping platform.
- EAP – Employee Assistance Programme (Counselling, financial and legal advice).
- Holiday buying scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Health cash plan