|Job title:||Test automation engineer|
|Salary:||Up to £40,000 p.a.|
We are looking for a Test automation Engineer to join our Business Technology Department in a permanent capacity, working full-time at our Swindon offices located in Swindon town centre on key transport links.
About the role
Providing software testing services within an Agile environment to verify that software works as intended. Locates defects and errors in applications\systems as developed by BCS and its partners\suppliers and assists with their elimination. Uses test automation expertise to build and maintain the test automation framework.
- Coordinate with the Delivery Manager to facilitate the gathering and documenting of test automation objectives and requirements for input into Automation Strategy and Design;
- Collaborates with Delivery Manager to agree automation coverage for BCS applications and systems;
- Extend and maintain existing automation frameworks, proactively identifying areas for improvement and implementing changes;
- Apply sound technical knowledge of different automation tools;
- Guide team in use of automation tools, running tests and analysing reports;
- Demonstrates to other departmental resources on the proper selection, design and implementation, and benefits of various Test Automation Frameworks, Tools and Strategies;
- Compiles automation test results data, prepares and reports test results both formally and informally;
- Use manual testing methods where required by the project/task;
- Prepare test strategies and test plans by analysing business requirements such as design artefacts (wireframes and prototypes), user stories, functional specifications and technical specifications. Ensure full or adequate test coverage of requirements;
- Build test strategies and execute test plans\scripts to verify that software works as intended;
- Analyse and report test findings;
- Work closely with Software Developers to understand and isolate issues;
- Ensure issues are fully understood by the developers, supplying evidence of findings and steps for re-production of defects\errors where possible;
- Create and maintain plans\scripts for ongoing quality assurance testing: sanity, regression, functional\non-functional, integration, stress/load, black box, white box, smoke etc;
- Provide status updates and metrics on testing progress to the project management function;
- Assist business units with the coordination and execution of User Acceptance Testing. Suggest test scripts and provide advice and support to UA testers;
- Handle queries and problems during UAT, facilitate the documentation of defects and report back to the development team;
- Assist in the Support activities.
Who are we looking for?
- ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing
- Educated to degree level, or the equivalent through training and experience
- Professional membership of BCS - MBCS
- Strong IT Literacy
- Proven automated testing skills
- Demonstrable experience in using test automation tools e.g. Selenium, plus any coding expertise
- Proven manual testing skills
- Experienced at using bug tracking tools, e.g. Jira, and using test management tools, e.g. TestRail
- Demonstrable experience in a software development or quality assurance role, ideally in an Agile environment using Scrum
- Proven ability to design test cases from user stories, business requirement documents and user-centred design artefacts such as wireframes
- Experience includes successfully managing software through the development life cycle, working closely with developers and applying standards to the quality assurance process and methods used
- Proven ability to contribute to test management reporting, e.g. test plans, test completion reports, metrics on work throughout
- Quick learner - able to adapt to changing technologies and processes
- Self-starter - able to hit the ground running and quickly take on a busy workload
- Capable of communicating at all levels, verbal and written, internally and externally
- Able to confidently discuss software defects with other team members/3rd party suppliers
- Well organised and capable of managing own time efficiently and effectively
- Self-motivated and prepared to take decisions based on own initiative
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Problem solver
- Experience in the use, setup and maintenance of Test Automation tools, such as Selenium
- Experience with C#/Java/Python
- Working knowledge of SQL Server, able to analyse and query data
- Basic knowledge of HTML and C#
- Good understanding of relevant legislation such as Web Accessibility, Copyright Law, OWASP and the Data Protection.
BCS is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be removed before any listed closing date once a sufficient amount of applications have been received.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.