Evidence your skills and experience to employers, clients and the wider industry
Show you're committed to professional standards and to developing your capability
Raise your profile with internationally-recognised letters CEng after your name
Enjoy new career opportunities and greater influence in your business
Is it for me?
You're ready for CEng if you:
- apply your understanding to deliver innovative products and services in an industrial setting
- demonstrate accountability for project, finance and personnel management in your work
- have the skill set to develop other technical staff
- show effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters
- always bring quality and integrity to your work
What are the requirements?
- You're assessed against the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)
- To apply for registration with BCS you need to be an MBCS or FBCS member
How to apply
You’ll need to evidence your knowledge and experience in a written application, and an online discussion with our chartered assessors. Members can access the CEng application process in MyBCS.
You need to complete a series of statements demonstrating how you meet the criteria for CEng registration. You also have to provide your CV and information about your experience and / or qualifications and CPD activity.
Your supporter could be an employer, client or colleague. They need to be working at your level or above and able to offer a reliable opinion of your knowledge and experience. We'll ask them to review your application before confirming their support.
You can take this route to registration if you hold either:
- an accredited bachelor’s degree with honours in engineering or technology plus one of the following:
- an appropriate master’s degree or engineering doctorate (EngD) accredited by a professional engineering institution
- appropriate further learning to master’s degree level
- an accredited integrated MEng degree.
Find out if your qualification is accredited for CEng at www.engc.org.uk/courses
If you don't hold an accredited qualification, our assessors will review your application and CV to ensure you have the knowledge and experience required to meet the registration criteria. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible in your application, including any relevant academic or vocational qualifications that you hold.
If you're unable to provide enough clear evidence to support an experiential route to CEng, we will contact you to discuss other options available to you.
Once we’ve assessed your application and your supporter has responded, you’ll be invited to meet our assessors online for a professional review interview (PRI). Our assessors will ask questions to verify your knowledge and competence. The interview usually lasts an hour.
Use your CEng post-nominal letters to confirm your new status to employers, colleagues and customers.
Continue your professional development
As a Chartered Engineer you’re required to maintain your competence and keep a record of your CPD activities. We may ask you at any time to provide your CPD record which needs to show what you learnt or achieved.
You can refer to the Engineering Council CPD Code for Registrants for guidance.
Your knowledge, experience and opinion are valuable commodities which you can invest in BCS to support your CPD as well as the development of our industry.
- Mentoring network - inspiring another person, and seeing them progress and benefit from your insight, is a hugely rewarding experience.
- Volunteering - grow your professional network and the profile of your field, by taking an active role in the running of our membership community.
What does it cost?
One-off application fee £160
If our initial assessment of your application is unsuccessful, you’ll be refunded in full
CEng registration fee £53.20
This includes your first year’s subscription
Annual CEng registration subscription £40.90
"CEng registration has enabled my employer to undertake larger, complex and more financially rewarding projects with the assurance that I can be given such responsibilities. Our clients are reassured that their solutions are provisioned by some of the best industry professionals."