Welcome to the free badged course, Returning to STEM. This course is here to help you get back to work in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics.
The course is intended for anyone who wants to get back into STEM work after having a break, whether to care for family, because of redundancy or for other reasons.
There are case study videos placed throughout the course to show you how other people have navigated their own unconventional careers. Importantly, you will hear about how they have got back to STEM employment after a career break.
Enrolling on the course will give you the opportunity to earn an Open University digital badge. Badges are not accredited by The Open University but they’re a great way to demonstrate your interest in the subject and commitment to your career, and to provide evidence of continuing professional development.
Once you are signed in, you can manage your digital badges online from My OpenLearn. In addition, you can download and print your OpenLearn Statement of Participation – which also displays your Open University badge.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- identify key experiences and attributes, and know how to use online tools effectively to be visible
- identify long-term goals and create an action plan and CV to achieve these
- know about future trends in STEM employment and where to find STEM jobs online
- be able to identify mentors and networks that can help with returning to work
- understand work–life balance solutions and know more about different types of flexible and agile working.
Also see Rebooting your STEM career