TechUK and WISE 'People Like Me' goes digital
14 December 2016
Invitation to the launch of ‘People Like Me’ goes digital – designed to attract more girls into STEM subjects and careers.
A message from Maggie Berry, Executive Director for Europe at WEConnect International – supporting women-owned businesses:
Last year, techUK and the WISE Campaign launched “People Like Me” – careers in a digital world. The pack is a special resource for teachers, parents and STEM ambassadors to develop a novel and effective approach to teaching girls about careers in and around the digital industries. In 2017, they are making the pack digital. Join techUK, WISE and CA Technologies as they outline the research behind the pack and next steps in this exciting project.
Through the digitisation of the pack, the vision is to create a “heat map” of the UK showing where the People Like Me programme has been rolled out both through face to face interactions (and how many) as well downloads/interactions with the app.
techUK’s Women in Tech Council and the WISE campaign aims over a five year period to:
- Change girls’ perception of STEM careers (and those around them) to enable them to make more informed choices post-16 by reaching 200,000 girls and offering them 2-3 sessions over two years.
- Train 7,000 UK business people to deliver People Like Me via online training to enable them to run 2-3 sessions with a set of girls each.
- Enable 20,000 People Like Me outreach sessions by UK business people / STEM ambassadors/ teachers to girls using People Like Me resources. (assuming 30 girls per session this is 600,000 sessions).
- Enable cutting edge functionality, video and graphics to attract girls, teachers, employees and parents to engage with this resource effectively.
- Evaluate the impact initially on girls’ self-perceptions but ultimately to conduct a longitudinal study with a HE partner on a sub-set of girls to look at the impact on their choices post-16.
This event will feature techUK President Jacqueline de Rojas as a keynote speaker and will host an exciting panel of speakers, including representatives from Government, industry, and education and more.
Date: Tuesday 31 January 2016
Time: 11.45 – 14.45, lunch included
Location: CA Technologies – Ditton Manor, Slough, Berkshire.
Parking: Available on site
Nearest train stations: Slough, Datchet
Thanks so much!
Founder, the Women in Technology Network