Pride specialist group: About the group
Our member committee is made up of a broad collection of skills and sector representation.
Our objectives for the Pride group are:
- Increase the visibility of LGBTQIA+ BCS members within the BCS through online events, social media and engagement with the wider BCS specialist and regional groups
- Work with the wider BCS membership to develop it’s understanding of the importance of LGBTQIA+ and other diversity in the sector
- Raise awareness of BCS within diverse communities and improve access for LGBTQIA+ individuals to IT and digital training, development and employment
- Investigate, identify then offer solutions to barriers to engagement with BCS e.g. mentoring, myth busting and/or identify funding for LGBTQIA+ individuals to access IT/digital based education/training and accreditation
- Amplify and partner with other diversity-focussed organisations in the IT / Digital / STEM ecosystem as well as the LGBTQIA+ networks across other professional bodies and chartered institutes
- Support the BCS to make LGBTQIA+ inclusive decisions via regular feedback and engagement
- Challenge stereotypes and support / enable diverse IT communities
- Identify and promote inclusive practices within the tech industry. For example through using inclusive terminology, ethical policies around AI and facial recognition of LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Increase the amount of visible LGBTQIA+ allies and champions within the BCS membership
- Members of the PRIDE @ BCS group to be expert voices for diversity and inclusion both within the membership as well as externally through social, print and online media, speaking engagements and contributions to policy and campaign material.