The aims of the BCS-ISSG are:
- To provide a forum where persons with a common interest in information security can meet to improve their knowledge, both through a planned programme of activities and by the informal exchange of experiences between members.
- To hold a regular series of meetings and seminars, to contribute information security related articles to ITNOW magazine and to run a website for its members.
- To raise awareness of the prevalent threats to information and to provide practical advice on methods and techniques for countering such threats.
- To support initiatives designed to influence the development of commercially available, and affordable, information security products and services.
- To assist in developing the policy, and drafting the legislation, standards and guidelines necessary to achieve and sustain a minimum acceptable level of information security throughout the UK.
- To monitor (and publicise to members) trends in computer misuse, as well as the ethical issues arising from such misuse.
- To encourage and support research and study in all areas of information security.