Stellar is a network of senior female leaders working in STEM professions, whose aim is to provide mutual support; to share experience, expertise and intelligence; and to debate strategy which will lead to increased gender diversity in the STEM sectors.
The aim is to meet regularly, share ideas and experiences, support one another, and inspire the next generation of women into STEM disciplines.
In addition to regular meetings, activities of the network include:
- Offer mutual support through regular communication and meetings
- Create a space where female leaders can share experiences openly and honestly through social interaction
- Increase members’ network of like-minded people
- Share opportunities, news, vacancies, speaking engagements, events and other relevant information
- Share best practice
- Define ways and strategies of making top level change to diversity and inclusion in STEM sectors, through dialogue, and identification of relevant levers and influencers
- Lead a coordinated voice for action
- Support and work with similar groups
- Advertise initiatives and events by other groups
- Provide role models where requested
- Suggest speakers for events, where possible
- Signpost to activities to help inspire the next generation
- Offer mentoring and work shadowing opportunities, if appropriate
- Encourage organisations to report on diversity and attrition rates at all levels
- Share success stories (and failures!)
- Invite guests, where appropriate, to speak on relevant issues
- Organise activities
The STELLAR network was created by Professor Liz Bacon during her BCS Presidential year and launched in January 2015. Its activities are now coordinated by a group including Liz Bacon, Rebecca George, Isobel Pollock-Hulf and Dawn Bonfield, and has administrative support from BCS.
The network has over 50 members - many current and past female Presidents of Professional Engineering and other Institutions, and endeavours to meet quarterly. Meetings are usually held in London, and have recently successfully been taking place online.
If you are interested in joining this network, or would like further information, please contact Isobel Pollock-Hulf email@example.com.