|Job title:||Instructional designer - Exam assessment and standards setting|
|Location:||Swindon / Remote|
About the role
Under the direction of the Product Development Manager, the Instructional Designer - Exam Assessment and Standards Setting will provide the expertise to ensure that all products are developed in-line with agreed assessment strategies and developed to the specification, on-time and within budget.
Working closely with the product management team, Subject Matter Experts and relevant stakeholders, the Instructional Designer - Exam Assessment and Standards Setting will be expected to take ownership and responsibility in the creation of leading products and be prepared to work flexibly with a ‘can do’ attitude, always thinking ‘how could this be better?’. A positive and genuinely passionate attitude to the task at hand with great communication skills are a must.
- Provide expertise and guidance on the design process to ensure that specifications meet the product brief and clearly articulate the assessment vision and strategy;
- Ensure that assessment is of the highest industry standard;
- Create and own assessment related initiatives centred on the strategic direction of the product portfolio;
- Create and own assessment quality metrics that relate to the product’s broader strategic goals;
- Work in collaboration with Product Managers to ensure that assessment supports and prepares for clear progression;
- Conduct and participate in design planning sessions and scoping meetings to support design, develop against standard process, and resolve development issues within the constraints of the build timelines and allocated budget;
- Accurately prepare and develop assessment, guides, syllabi, learning objectives and supporting material in-line with the product brief;
- Appropriately develop content in alignment with established methodology - for example Angoff;
- Quickly synthesise and write content based on input from Subject Matter Experts and raw content from appropriate sources;
- Prepare, train and coach Subject Matter Experts when required to ensure delivery meets specifications;
- Ensure quality standards are maintained and that version control progresses through the development process. Managing review and quality assurance process to gain relevant feedback on work completed;
- Establish a solid understanding of the BCS Product and Standards landscape with continued knowledge of the product portfolio;
- Ability to influence without authority when working across BCS whilst demonstrating excellent project management and communication skills;
- Define project schedules and manage multiple projects simultaneously with the Product Development Manager and Product Manager. Keep track of project tasks and status using online project management software and applications;
- Develop systems and processes for gathering, analysing, and implementing feedback on assessment;
- Work with key stakeholder to establish partnership and other opportunities from an assessment perspective;
- Ensure that outside regulatory and legal requirements, as well as internal policies and processes are fully met and implemented;
- Remain aware of all emerging trends and technologies and make recommendations about when to adopt to continue to offer the best experience possible;
- Upload and manage content into an online platform where required;
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager / Divisional Director;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements;
- All employees will live BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures.
Who are we looking for?
- Educated to degree level or equivalent is desirable
- Instructional Design
- Educational Psychology
- Curriculum Design
- Assessment Design
- Demonstrable experience as a Learning Designer, Instructional Designer, or
- Demonstrable project management skills
- Experience of successfully designing and developing sophisticated products
deployed in a variety of environments
- Hands on experience of assessment strategy and assessment development
- Teaching or training background beneficial
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialised information
- Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others
- Ability to look beyond the standard solution
- Ability to develop a particular skill in others to bring them up to a predetermined standard of work performance
- Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem
- Ability to think in terms of abstract ideas
- Ability to build rapport with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result
- Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea
- Ability to make a critical decision while following company procedure
- Ability to follow and demonstrate standard assessment design through accurate assessment measures that strictly follow their intended purposes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to set and manage priorities
- Ability to work within defined timescales and keep calm under pressure
- Ability to track and monitor performance against budget
- UK Qualification regulatory requirements
- Application of learning principals
- Development of workflows and procedures
- Awarding Body landscape and exposure to digital IT
- Up to date computer knowledge and digital skills
- Understanding of technical language
- Applications such as Articulate Storyline and Moodle
- Principles that create quality evaluations - fairness, reliability, content validity and consequential relevance
- Occasional visits to clients or suppliers, off site meetings and events in the UK
as required. These may require overnight stays;
- Some travel to other BCS offices as required;
- Some out-of-hours working including weekends will be required.
BCS is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.