|Job title:||Legal counsel|
We are looking for a Legal counsel to join our Legal team on a 12-month fixed term contract. This role will be 2-3 days per week with flexibility on hours and location (but the odd visit to Swindon would be beneficial).
About the role
The post-holder will be responsible for supporting the Head of Legal Services with provision of legal services to BCS. It will generally include providing advice on commercial, IT and IP law and involve contract drafting.
- To assist the Head of Legal with day-to-day legal matters across the organisation;
- To provide pragmatic advice on commercial IT/IP and Data Protection law and dealing with ad hoc customer/suppliers related legal enquiries;
- To draft a range of legal agreements on behalf of the business as required;
- To work closely with the Paralegal in completion of legal tasks when required to facilitate the prompt issue of contracts via Legalesign;
- To continually look at ways to make improvements to such systems, processes and procedures;
- To support and implement certain legal aspects of the GDPR compliance project.
- Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
- All staff will live the BCS’ values and support our purpose;
- Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures;
- The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who we are looking for
- Qualified solicitor
- Degree educated. 2.1
- Proven experience gained in private practice or inhouse
- Proven experience in commercial law required
- In house experience desirable but not critical
- Experience in IT/IP law desirable
- Experience in Data Protection law/GDPR desirable
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to identify and appropriately handle any legal issues
- Ability to communicate and negotiate in writing and verbally
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise workloads in order to meet deadlines
- Proactive approach
- Ability to hit the ground running, flexibility, adaptability
- Knowledge of the IT/charity/training and development sector desired