BCS Foundation Award - Big data
Explore the role of big data in AI, the relationship between data and information, big data frameworks (including Hadoop), applicable solutions and the processes and techniques used.
Who is this for?
- Digital professionals who are transitioning into a career encompassing AI and machine learning
- Candidates who are looking to move into analytical or research roles within AI
- Employees who want to strengthen their digital credentials and future-proof their career
- Business professionals with a background in science, engineering, knowledge engineering, finance, education or IT services
- Anyone wanting to know more about big data and how their existing data management skills might apply to an AI role
There are no pre-requisites for entry to the exam.
What will I learn?
This award sits within the Data area of the AI Foundation Pathway, offering a practical understanding of big data, its associated principles and approaches.
You’ll learn about:
- the concept of big data
- working with a big data framework
- big data analytics
- big data and machine learning
Download our latest syllabus (PDF)
This award contributes 4 credits towards the:
- Foundation Certificate in AI (total credits required: 20)
- Foundation Diploma in AI (total credits required: 36)
Other Data awards in the IA Foundation Pathway include:
How can I prepare for this award?
You can achieve this qualification through virtual or classroom training with a BCS-accredited training provider. As a guide, the estimated total qualification time for this award is 40 hours based around 16 hours of contact time, 23 hours of independent learning and a 30-minute summative assessment. Prices of exams start from £90 + VAT per award - though prices may vary depending on training provider.
How do I take the exam?
Find a provider
Get in touch with your nearest BCS-accredited training provider to ask about their bitesize training course.
Book your exam
If you're studying for this qualification without a training provider you can sit this exam directly with BCS.
How do I book an exam?
Call +44 (0)1793 417417 to book your exam
Build on your foundation learning and achieve the Foundation Certificate in AI by studying one award from each of the four key awards areas. Study eight awards across the four areas and you’ll achieve the Foundation Diploma in AI. Why not look at…
AI’s ability to learn, replicate and predict means it will have a considerable impact on society and our environment if we don’t approach it ethically, sustainably and with clear governance. This set of awards explores the impact of decision-making and is vital learning for any forward-thinking IT professional.
Understanding the role of ethics in the responsible use of AI
Machine learning and other AI techniques Awards
Big data, patterns, smart products, robotics, automation, knowledge-based systems and more - a firm understanding of these aspects, their role and how they affect business, products and services is crucial. Learn which techniques are required to help businesses make the right decisions, and how they need to be implemented to be successful.
This qualification is not regulated by the following United Kingdom Regulators - Ofqual, Qualifications Wales, CCEA Regulation or SQA.