Who is it for?
Anyone managing or responding to requests for information from the public or working in this subject area, for instance information managers or Freedom of Information (FOI) practitioners.
There are no formal entry requirements however, it is strongly recommended that candidates attend a BCS accredited training course. Some knowledge of the FOI law and applying this in a work context would be beneficial.
What will I learn?
Candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- How specific exemptions might apply to requests for information including the application of the public interest test
- A clear and balanced approach to applying legal judgements in accordance with the law and relevant case law.
- Implementation of internal management procedures to support freedom of information and environmental information legislation.
- Knowledge of the definition of the Act and how it interacts with related legislation, specifically the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and the Data Protection Act 2018.
- Development of internal procedures to support your authority’s compliance with the FOI Act including those relating to internal reviews.
- How to apply the legislation in a practical setting relevant to your work.
- How to prepare clear advice to colleagues as well as the public.
How do I get this qualification?
Training and exam (recommended)
Take this course with one of our accredited training providers.
How long will it take?
We recommend 40 hours of training with a provider.
Where can I study?
At a BCS accredited training provider near you.
How much does it cost?
Course prices vary depending on your chosen training provider and course format.
Exam only (self study)
Ideal if you’re self-motivated and already know something about freedom of information.
How do I book an exam?
Call +44 (0)1793 417417 to book your exam.
How do I sit the exam?
If you're studying for this qualification without a training provider you can sit this exam directly with BCS.
How much does it cost?
UK price: £264 (£220 + VAT).
International prices may vary by region, please check international pricing via our Customer Service team.
What format is the exam?
- 90 minute scenario based ‘closed book’ digital exam:
- 6 multiple choice questions (State and Describe)
- 12 multiple response questions (Explain)
- 3 scenario-based questions (Apply and Analyse).
- Pass mark of 65%
This qualification is not regulated by the following United Kingdom Regulators - Ofqual, Qualifications Wales, CCEA Regulation or SQA.