Preparing to start your ITT year
Training to teach is a big step and can be very challenging - your initial teacher training year is no exception.
We have put together some tips from some of our Computing At School (CAS) Community teachers to help you get prepared and start off on the right foot:
- Ensure you have good working knowledge of Office 365 including Teams this is going to be essential for preparing lessons, resources and tracking process
- Use a planner and look out for times that will be particularly demanding both personally and professionally, this will enable you to manage your time effectively. Be aware of the course start dates which usually follow a school year
- Before you start, get as much information as possible from your provider. Highlight key dates such as assignment deadlines and school experience in your planner
- Research key terms that you are not familiar with, look at example and consider how you could incorporate these into your own practise
- Understand the curriculum and what will be expected of you to deliver - this will also help to identify potential areas within your subject knowledge that you may need to brush up on. CAS is a great place to look for free resources, attend some events and get some additional training
- Undertake a skills audit to highlight the subject areas you need to focus on developing and look at the questions in a GCSE Computer Science paper to help you prepare
- Get organised, prepared and start prioritising your workload - things will get very busy so being on top of it will really help.