Below you'll find examples of the skills you need and the day to day activities you'll be involved in, as well as our recommendations for what to do next.
What your role could look like
As a Senior Software Tester, you will have a good understanding of the role of software testing and of all testing events throughout the development lifecycle. We can support your continued growth through our certifications and membership to help you extend your knowledge in the areas that are important to you and your development.
- Coordinates and manages planning of the system and/or acceptance tests, including software security testing, within a development or integration project or programme.
- Takes responsibility for the integrity of system testing and acceptance activities, within a development or integration project or programme. Co-ordinates the execution of system testing and acceptance activities for a development project or programme of projects.
- Defines and communicates the test strategy for the project or programme. Co-operates with clients/users and senior staff as required to agree the testing strategy to be employed for the projects. Maintains awareness of testing alternatives at a level where they can be analysed and the most effective testing strategy selected and agreed.
- Manages all test processes, including test plans, resources, costs, timescales, test deliverables and traceability, for the project or programme. Undertakes investigations to assess and advise on the practicality of testing process alternatives. Identifies process improvements, and contributes to corporate testing standards and definition of best practice.
- Ensures that any risks associated with test strategy and the system test plan are clearly documented and reported to the clients/users and colleagues as appropriate, in accordance with organisational processes.
- Provides authoritative advice and guidance to colleagues on any aspect of test planning and execution.
- Manages client relationships with respect to testing matters for the project or programme. Plans, arranges and facilitates where appropriate meetings, workshops and relations with client/user staff during test planning and throughout subsequent development and testing activities.
- Establishes and plans the automated testing strategy for the project or programme; providing a platform for the testing team to automate previously manual scripts.
- Works with development or integration teams to validate unit tests and/or assist in pair programming techniques to validate code flows.
Test Management Techniques
You’ll be proficient in the principles, methods, techniques and tools for the effective management of the testing process and the execution of tests throughout the lifecycle of development or integration projects. Examples, but not limited to: test efficiency and effectiveness measurement.
Application Development Methods, Techniques and Standards
You’ll be familiar with organised and documented sets of techniques, and proven methods, intended to facilitate the structured and open development of applications. A DevOps approach may be taken where development and operational staff work together. Examples, but not limited to, of standards for data-interchange and application development methods are REST (data handling via URLs) and SCRUM.
You’ll be familiar with the discipline which gives precise control over IT assets and components by recording and maintaining information about the 'configuration items', including hardware devices, computer programs, software licences, documentation, network devices, and data centre facilities (virtualised and static).
You’ll be proficient in methods and techniques for the assessment and management of business risk including safety-related risk. Example, but not limited to: CRAMM and ISO/IEC31010 - risk management and assessment techniques.
Soft skills are a key component of your continued professional development and success as a software tester. BCS offers a comprehensive suite of materials to members to support professionals in the development of their soft skills.
Acquiring understanding and insights regarding the underlying issues in complex problems or situations through the development of abstract representations, the identification of patterns and the analysis of hypotheses.
Planning and organisation
You can determine a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps and by planning and resourcing each of these, making allowance for potential problems and escalating if necessary.
You can make decisions at the appropriate time, taking into account the needs of the situation, priorities, constraints, known risks, and the availability of necessary information and resources.
Cross-Functional and Inter-Disciplinary Awareness
You can understand the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions.
ITQSB Certified Tester Advanced Level – Technical Test Analyst
Explore the role and responsibilities of the technical test analyst and develop your skills at a recognised, advanced level.
ITQSB Certified Tester Advanced Level – Test Analyst
Build on your software testing skills to become a competent test analyst and a vital member of the development team.
ITQSB Certified Tester Advanced Level - Test Manager
Demonstrate your software testing management skills with this internationally-recognised certification.
ITQSB Certified Tester Advanced Level - Test Automation Engineer
Understand more about the complexities of test automation and take your software testing skills to the next level.
Chartered IT Professional
Demonstrate your expertise in the field of Business Analysis with the BCS Chartered IT Professional award, the independent standard of competence and professionalism in the technology industry.
BCS Professional Member
As a professional member of BCS, you’ll become part of a large professional community in the UK and beyond. You’ll get access to career support tools, latest BA industry news and exclusive BCS research.
Pathway to professionalism
Attain a leading software testing certification and demonstrate that you’ve met the high standards set by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT. Over 100,000 professionals worldwide are certified with BCS.