You may be eligible for the reduced rate if you are:
- On a career break
- On maternity or paternity leave
- A mature student in full time education (excluding Student membership)
- Reduced income due to ill health
- On a low income - please confirm your annual income in your currency
How do I apply?
Please complete the temporary reduced rate subscription form. Once we’ve reviewed your details, we’ll be in touch to let you know if your request has been successful. You can expect to hear from us within 10 working days.
Frequently asked questions
When can I apply*?
As a new BCS member you should apply at the same time as you complete your new membership application. If you are an existing BCS member you should apply within one month of your renewal date to ensure you are able to take full advantage of the temporary reduced rate.
How long does the temporary rate last?
Your membership subscription will be reduced until your next renewal date. If your circumstances continue then you can reapply for the reduced rate at your next renewal. The reduced rate may be awarded up to a maximum of five consecutive years - subject to the criteria being met on re-application each year.
How much does the temporary reduced rate cost?
There is a flat fee of £50 per year for all reduced membership subscriptions. Those members who successfully request a temporary reduced rate membership subscription and have an Engineering Council (EC) registration will have a reduced annual EC renewal fee. This will be £19.83 for CEng and £16.50 for IEng. These fees are reviewed annually. For those applying for Fellowship, the full application fee will still be applicable. Please note, the reduced rate does not apply to your CITP, RITTech, or FEDIP subscription.
I pay by Direct Debit, how can I ensure that the correct amount is debited from my account?
- Annual Direct Debit: To ensure that the correct amount is deducted from your bank account, please return your reduced rate application form to us by the 1st of the month prior to your renewal start date.
- Monthly Direct Debit: this option is only available for annual membership fees of £92 and above. You’ll need to either switch to an annual Direct Debit, or pay by card or Paypal. We’ll get in touch with next steps to change your payment method once we’ve processed your request.
* BCS may contact you to obtain additional information to support your application for a reduced rate subscription.