It does this by seeking the views of members, and via linking with other bodies e.g. the Royal College of Nursing (RCN); the Royal College of Midwifery (RCM); the Clinical Professions and Health Visitor's Association (CPHVA/Amicus); the National Nursing Informatics Strategic Taskforce (NNIST) within the United Kingdom and with international bodies such as the special interest group on Nursing Informatics of the International Medical Informatics Association - NI (IMIA) and various working groups within the European Federation for Medical Informatics (EFMI).
The NSG contributes to the annual Healthcare Computing (HC) Conferences run by the BCS Health Informatics Committee (HIC), supplemented by special topic meetings organised by the various focus, geographic and affiliated groups.
Objectives of the group
- to promote and support the use of information management and technology in nursing
- to provide appropriate meetings for discussion and the exchange of ideas and developments in nursing informatics
- to disseminate information about current nursing applications and to encourage the publication of research and development material
- to provide a nursing perspective on healthcare computing
- to assist nursing, midwifery and health visiting educationalists to integrate nursing informatics into pre and post registration curricula
- to stimulate and influence managers and informaticians regarding the needs and implications of informatics for the nursing professions
- to liaise with appropriate BCS and non-BCS specialist groups
to maintain international links with IMIA-NI and EFMI