Guest Blog: Innovation in developing countries

Today, most of the innovations are limited with developed countries like USA, Japan and Europe while developing countries are still behind in the field of innovation and management of technology. But it is also becoming a subject for rapid progress and development in developing countries.

Innovation and technology environment in developing countries are by nature, problematic, characterised by poor business models, political instability and governance conditions, low education level and lack of world-class research universities.

Issues in developing countries

The innovation process and technology management is emerging field in the developing-world companies. The innovation and technology environments in developing countries are affected and governed by:

  • Poor business models
  • Government conditions
  • Low education levels
  • Poor management of technology
  • Poor infrastructure

Of the top 500 universities in the world, only 3 per cent universities are in developing countries. Of the  remaining 97 per cent, 44 per cent are in North America, 34 per cent in Europe and 19 per cent in Asia. The academies of these top ranked universities have also strong affiliations with entrepreneurs and most of the academies are also entrepreneurs by themselves.

Having graduated from the US or European universities, students on returning to their countries approach their responsibilities in their own countries and seek to transfer what they have learned to their own home environment. Innovation and technology at grass root level in developing countries is a generating attention. These innovations may not be commercialised at global level but these can be new sources of innovation at national level.

The real problem is to:

  • Identify
  • Objectify 
  • Patent these innovations
  • Commercialise it at national level
  • Research in developing countries is limited to :
    • Publications
    • Develop links with industries
    • Business modeling
    • Proposed Solution

Proposed solution

  • The government should also take initiatives for improvement of infrastructure and development of new infrastructure
  • To facilitate the proper exploitation of such knowledge in innovation process
  • Train researchers toward meeting specific developing countries
  • Eliminate country’s policies and constrains towards R&D processes
  • Develop quality research result by maximising number of publications among word notable journals
  • Empower the business technology model for future expansion among world market

How to measure quality across industries and businesses

  • Create transparency
  • Enable experimentation to discover needs, expose variability, and improve performance
  • Segment populations to customise actions
  • Replace /support human decision making
  • Innovate new business models, products, and services

The missing quality of business and research

Creative industries as a whole tend to have difficulty marketing outside of their region because of a lack of general business skills. They tend to rely on their local shops, publishers and advertisers to find customers.

Innovation Idea + tools + validation = a successful business.

Dr KayyaliDr. Kayyali Mohamed FBCS CITP, CEO, www.4ditech.com

Dr Mohamed S El Kayyali FBCS is currently CEO at 4DIT, a business and technology management firm located in Dubai and Morocco.

December 2018
M
T
W
T
F
S
S
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

Search this blog